Sunday, September 26, 2010

Urban vs Suburban Drunks

Denver bus stops are very interesting places to observe human behavior. It was from the Auraria Light Rail Station that I observed a couple drunken brothers (and their father who was sober and I think retired from heavy drinking)rambling about the Marines and their patriotism when it hit me: Urban drunks are not patriotic and they certainly never speak affectionately about the US govt or US military. These two brothers remind me of the few drunks I came across as a kid growing up in Littleton. They tended to ooze with patriotic sentiment and toast America frequently, especially on the 4th of July. Downtown Denver drunks, however, never utter such things. If they say anything about the United States, its negative, such as in my previous article.

Surely, noticing things like this means I've lived in this city waaaay too long.

No comments: